Uprising - Part 1
September 8 - Group Study Guide
Ice Breaker: What is a game or activity that you’re really good at? Now share one you’re not so good at. Which one do you like more?
1. Why do you think God chose to send His Son, Jesus, who would change history, into such humble circumstances?
2. In Acts 1:8-11, Jesus says:
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight. They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”
This is the last instruction He gives to His followers: “Be my witnesses”. Jesus says: “Share My message”. And yet, the message of Jesus has been misrepresented throughout history. Give some examples of how the message of Jesus has been misrepresented.
3. The message of “Jesus Says” is not very compelling. Why?
a. What can happen when you’re good at the
game of Jesus Says?
b. What can happen when you’re bad at the game of Jesus Says?
4. But Jesus never invited anyone into a game of “Jesus Says”. Instead He invites people like you and me into a relationship. Discuss the difference.
5. Religious, “churchy” people (like the Pharisees) LOVE the game of “Jesus says”. Why?
6. If you read through Matthew 9, starting at verse 9, you’ll see Jesus say “Follow Me” to a guy named Matthew. Why would that have been shocking?
7. The message of Jesus is for sinners only. Discuss.
8. Jesus invites us not into religion or rules or a game of “Jesus Says”, He invites us into relationship. Discuss the differences.
9. When we follow Jesus:
a. We change, not to EARN a relationship with
Him, but BECAUSE of a relationship with Him.
b. We judge other people less. Why?