Small Group Study November 24
Ice Breaker: Tell of a time where you felt REALLY useless. Tell of a time you felt REALLY useful.
1. What was John the Baptist’s role in history? Read Isaiah 40:3 in your discussion.
2. John the Baptist was at the right time and the right place with the right skills and the right abilities and the right voice to make the right difference. How about you? Are you? Discuss in light of Ephesians 2:10.
a. Where is God calling you to make a difference in your life right now? How about your:
ii. Social group
3. Harold Kushner said this:
I am convinced that it is not the fear of death, of our lives ending that haunts our sleep so much as the fear... that as far as the world is concerned, we might as well never have lived.
Do you ever worry about that happening to you? Discuss in light of Hebrews 12:1? Where are you at right now? Is your race over? Oh, right, it can’t be, can it? If you’re reading this you’re not dead, and if you’re not dead, you’re not done.
Go back up to question 2a now….answer again in light of this quote by Kushner.
4. Does God have a plan for your life? Do you have a purpose on this planet? Answer in light of:
Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
5. Is there generational struggles in your family? How might God be calling you TODAY to be the one who turns the tide? What would your next step be if you REALLY believed that God’s plan was for you to put a stop to the sin or abuse or addiction or the anger that has run through the generations of your family?
6. Read Luke 1: 39-43. What was John the Baptist’s first step in fulfilling His purpose? Have you recognized Jesus? Have you allowed Him to take you out of darkness into light? If so, what does the cross and the empty tomb and the ascension at Bethany tell you about what Jesus has done for you?
7. Is Jesus is who He said He is…there is NOTHING bigger than telling others about Him. As a small group, spend some time praying about one person who you each want to invite out to Christmas Eve this year.