Small Group Study
Straight to the Heart – Week 5
Ice Breaker: Mike’s misunderstanding in Monterey, California on his honeymoon just about brought him to a nudist camp ground! Have you had any misunderstandings in your life that cost you?
1. If your heart ain’t right, you ain't’ right. Discuss in light of Proverbs 4:23.
2. Why is your heart such a big deal, according to Jesus in Luke 6:
43 “No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. 45 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.
3. What is a wandering heart? See Exodus 20: 3-4.
4. Its really easy to spot idols in other cultures, right? Name a culture that you know of, past or present, and identify their idols.
a. You know what, its easy to spot idols in other people in OUR culture too! Is there a person you
know of, or actually know who has a wandering heart? What is their idol?
5. What are the idols in your life (of the items, that if you aren’t careful, could become idols in your life) according to the way you spend:
a. Your time.
b. Your money.
c. Your conversations.
6. How are you going to tear your idol down?
7. Would you cancel cable tv if it was an idol in your life? Would you get rid of facebook if it was an idol in your life? Would you stop purchasing “image items” for six months if image was an idol in your life? Or is that taking things “too far”. I would say its not, in light of Psalm 37:4. Discuss.
8. Psalm 84:2. Its true. Do you believe it?
9. Why is prayer a good way to run to God?