Small Group Study
ONE – “One of a Kind”
Ice Breaker: Are there things you were raised with or things you have come to believe that seemed “normal” to you, but now you realize that they were not? For example, I grew up putting ketchup on French toast….but there are some who claim that’s weird. Give some examples from your life!
1. What is the alternative to setting a goal to be weird? Are you willing to stand out, or would you rather fit in?
2. Discuss Galatians 1:10. How have you seen what Paul is saying play out in your life?
3. Jesus said this in Matthew 7:
13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
ACDC said, “I’m on a highway to hell. Nothing that I’d rather do. Going down. Party time. My friends are going to be there too.
If you’re living your life just like everyone else. If you’re making the same choices as everyone else. If you’re thinking the same as everyone else, that is probably a bad sign. Discuss in light of Jesus’ words and ACDC’s lyrics.
4. There were three types of normal in John the Baptist’s world. Amazingly, those three types of normal are still dominant in our world today.
a. “If it feels good, do it”. What’s the “weird” alternative to that philosophy?
i. How would it affect single young men?
ii. Single young women?
iii. Married couples?
iv. High school students facing peer pressure.
v. Middle aged coach potatoes living vicariously through actors and athletes on tv.
a. Incidentally, did you notice in Hebrews 12:1 (which you memorized last week) that not only
is our race jeopardized by the “sin that so easily entangles”, but also by “everything that
hinders”? What is the difference? Discuss.
b. Money CAN buy you happiness. What’s the “weird” alternative to that philosophy?
i. Can you think of messaging in our culture which teaches money CAN buy happiness?
ii. Weird views of money:
1. Money can’t buy happiness. Discuss in light of the quote below:
"Why do I have 3 Super Bowl rings and still think there's something greater out there for me? I mean, maybe a lot of people would say, 'Hey Man, this is it.' I reached my goal, my dream, my life. God, its got to be more than this. I mean, this isn't, this can't be what its all cracked up to be."
a. How would lives in our world change if we understood money CAN’T buy happiness?
2. Money makes a good servant but a lousy master. Discuss the difference between money
as servant and money as master? How would it affect your attitude towards your:
3. I will live simply, so others can simply live.
a. How might that play out in your life?
iii. Religiosity. Salvation through sweat.
1. What’s wrong with it?
2. What did John the Baptist have to say to the religious Pharisees?
iv. Weird view of Jesus:
1. Jesus did not come into the world primarily to give us a cute, cuddly nativity scene. Jesus
came to declare war. Discuss.
2. Jesus came to declare war on sin and death and despair. How did He defeat them?
3. On the cross, Jesus died to save your life. How.
5. Revelation 19:
11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.”[a] He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS
6. When Jesus comes back, He’s going to come back as a warrior. King of Kings. Lord of Lords. Victory personified. He’s going to end sin and death. He came first as a suffering Saviour so that when He ends sin He won’t end you. Jesus went to the cross so that when He ends evil, He won’t end you. Discuss.
7. Christmas is about a declaration of war. Life against death. Does that change the way you look at the world around you?