Small Group Study
August 17, 2014
Ice Breaker: When I was 12 years old, Mitch Jentink told me I was a terrible singer, and it stuck. Can you remember something discouraging that someone said about you “way back when” that has stuck?
1. What are the labels that you’ve been wearing?
a. If I’m right, the Bible teaches clearly that the only label you should ever wear is the one Lazarus’ sisters
gave him in John 11:3. Discuss.
2. Discuss this passage:
5 Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. 6 So when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he
stayed where he was two more days, 7 and then he said to his disciples, “Let us go back to Judea.”
3. Before you met Jesus, you were spiritually dead. What were the symptoms?
a. Can dead people heal themselves? Discuss.
4. What does John 11:35 say about our God?
5. John 11:39 (KJV)
Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this
time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.
Why did Jesus put up with the “stinketh”?
Why does Jesus walk into the “stinketh”, of your life?
6. When did Jesus call you out of the spiritual tomb?
7. Why did Jesus tell them to take off Lazarus’ grave clothes?
8. Is there anything in your life today that is keeping you bound up? Are there hurts that have left you bitter
and broken? Are there humiliations that have left you cowering in the crypt? Are there habits that are
tripping you up and keeping you from running the race?
9. Isaiah said that through Jesus’s scars we can be healed. Will you let Jesus free you from bitterness and
10. Isaiah said that Jesus was bruised for our iniquities (sins). Can you allow the forgiveness of Jesus to get
you past your past today?
11. In Romans 8:11, the Apostle Paul says the Holy Spirit that raised Jesus from the grave lives in us when
Jesus saves us. Is there a next step the Holy Spirit wants you to help you break free of the habits that are
holding you back?