Small Group Study
Back to School – Week 5
Found People Find People
Ice Breaker: Who led you to Jesus? Who led you to a place where you could meet Jesus?
1. The mission of Southside is the what. So what is the what?
2. The vision is the why. What is the why?
3. The values are the how. What are the how?
4. Do you remember when you were lost? Before you met Jesus?
Found People GOT TO Find people
5. What was the first command Jesus ever gave to His disciples? (Mark 1:17)
6. What does it mean?
7. What is the last command Jesus ever game to His disciples? (Mark 16:15)
8. What’s the good news? How does the Good News change everything?
9. Dwight Moody led J. Wilbur Chapman to Jesus. J. Wilbur Chapman led Billy Sunday to Jesus. Billy Sunday led Mordecai Ham to Jesus. Mordecai Ham led Billy Graham to Jesus. But who led Dwight Moody to Jesus? Why is this a big deal?
Found People GOING TO Find People
10. When we follow Jesus, we become more like Him (Romans 8:29 says, For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.)
a. When we become more like Jesus, we see like Jesus sees. And when we see like Jesus sees, we look
at a lost world full of lost people and we love them. Discuss.
11. 85% of people who come to church for the first time from a non-churched background come because they were invited. That’s just the way it works, right. How did you first come to church?
12. How does the following weird story relate to how churches can become weird:
The Times-Reporter of New Philadelphia, Ohio, reported in September, 1985 a celebration of a New Orleans municipal pool. The party around the pool was held to celebrate the first summer in memory without a drowning at the New Orleans city pool. In honor of the occasion, 200 people gathered, including 100 certified lifeguards. As the party was breaking up and the four lifeguards on duty began to clear the pool, they found a fully dressed body in the deep end. They tried to revive Jerome Moody, 31, but it was too late. He had drowned surrounded by lifeguards celebrating their successful season.
13. When churches lose sight of the fact that found people find people, they can end up fighting about weird stuff. Ever seen that?
Found People GET TO Find People
14. Interest goes up when the stakes get high. Example?
15. The stakes don’t get higher than found people finding people. Discuss in light of Romans 10:9.
16. Who can you invite to church?